Tomato & Watermelon Salad
When I am invited to go to an event...and bring food...I always try NEW things. Maybe it's a bit risky, but hey, what can I say? I'm a risky sort of gal!
Last weekend I was invited to a friends for an lovely Brazilian picnic. It was so much fun!
I don't know much about Brazilian food, but this looked fresh and amazing...and guess what? It totally ROCKED!
So here is the recipe for Tomato and Watermelon Salad which I totally borrowed from FoodNetwork...you MUST try it this summer! Grab a reusable shopping bag and head to your local farmers market and pick up FRESH ingredients and get cooking!nocoupons
Tomato Watermelon Salad
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 beefsteak (or other large variety tomatoes, stemmed, washed and dried)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (stemmed, washed and dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
- 4 strawberries (hulled, washed and cut into very small pieces)
- Maldon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 teaspoons superfine (or granulated sugar)
- 6 ounces cold watermelon (rind removed, seeded and cut into bite-size cubes)
- In a bowl, whisk together the balsamic, lemon juice, and olive oil. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
- Place the tomatoes on a flat surface. Cut the smaller ones in half and the larger ones into slices. Arrange all of them in a single layer, flesh side up. Season them with salt, black pepper and sugar.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with the dressing. Toss them with the tarragon and strawberries.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing and top with the watermelon. Serve immediately.
- For best results, make the salad without ever refrigerating the tomatoes but with the watermelon cold from the refrigerator. The contrast of temperatures will give the salad an extra fresh taste.
| Posted on August 07 2010