Your Business Identity part 2 LOGO DESIGN
Posted on January 16 2009
So, now you have a name for your business and you're thinking what do I do with it? You do need some sort of logo, someway to brand yourself, to set yourself apart, to give yourself more of an identity.
After working in graphic design for the best part of 12 years, my recommendation is HIRE SOMEONE. This is where a lot of individuals make the mistake of thinking they can pull off a do it yourself type thing. You have a little knowledge of Photoshop, maybe even Adobe Illustrator...but the truth is a professional will do it better. That doesn't mean it needs to cost a fortune. Research your options:
- do you have a friend who you can "abuse" if only slightly?
- never underestimate the power of a barter (I designed a logo for my builder and got a patio out of it!)
- Etsy has a number of graphic artists who will design a logo or banner for a reasonable price.
Research what kind of work they have done in the past. Do you like their style, does it fit YOUR
style? And you should have a few ideas already cemented in place...not necessarily the visual, but what are you trying to achieve. Ask yourself:
- Do I want a picture to represent my name - a true logo?
- Do I want to use the name itself only? (that would be what I did with StudioJewel)
- What colors do I want to employ?
- Where will I use this logo? website? brochure? billboard? Trust me...it matters!
- What shape? Long and rectangular, or square?
- What will fit BEST in the places I intend to use it?
- Can it be transferred into a black only logo - another question you'll be glad you asked yourself!
So, this is just a few beginning questions and ideas you need to think of when you move into the logo phase of your name. You really don't want to go through to many "re-design" phases or people will think you are wishy-washy and not confident in your own image.
Please send along your comments and links to your own logos...I'd love to see what you come up with!
Next business topic....PACKAGING!!!